IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Adjustment to Carnegie Elective Community Engagement Classification Timeline (U.S.)
As a result of the changes imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic, we are adjusting our timeline for future Carnegie cycles. We recognize that campuses are currently focused on challenges the pandemic has created for the campus and for community partners. These trying times will demand full attention to centering community partnerships in COVID-related response plans and budgetary changes in order to advance community engagement and assist in the recovery of communities.
Thus, the 2023 cycle that we previously announced will move to 2024. After the 2024 classification, all cycles will be every two years (2024, 2026, 2028, 2030…) and campuses that achieve the classification will retain it for six years.
2024 Cycle Timeline Overview
- Framework released & Applications Available: January 2022
- Application Deadline: April 2023
- Campuses Notified: December 2023
- Public Announcement: January 2024
2026 Cycle Timeline Overview
- Framework Released & Applications Available: January 2024
- Application deadline: April 2025
- Campuses notified: December 2025
- Public Announcement: January 2026
2026 Cycle Timeline What if my campus was classified in 2015 and needs to re-classify in 2025?
Campuses that need to re-classify in 2025 are welcome to choose their preference between the 2024 (1 year early) or the 2026 (1 year late) cycles.